Meredith Ann Baxter (South Pasadena, 21 June 1947) is an American actress. She was in both 1977, 1978 (both times for her supporting role as Nancy Lawrence Maitlandin the Familydrama series) and 1992 (for her starring role as Betty Broderick in the television film A Woman Scorned: The Betty Broderick Story) nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award. Baxter made her debut as an actress in 1976 with some one-off guest roles in various television series. Her first film role followed in 1972, as Tracy in the tragicomedy Stand Up and Be Counted .
Baxter is a daughter of actress Whitney Blake.
Baxter's acting career is taking off for the most part on the television screen. Although she was to see more than ten times on the silver screen, but also in more than 45 films made for television. Baxter also played characters in more than 275 episodes of various television series. Her role as half of a former hippie-couple and then become liberalmother Elyse Keaton on the sitcom Family Ties is with 171 episodes it trade in SALW. She also had one-time guest roles in episodes of more than 25 other series. Examples include The Partridge Family (in 1971), The Streets of San Francisco (1975), Police Woman (1976), 7th Heaven (2003), The Closer (2005), Brothers & Sisters (2006),Switched at Birth (2012) and Glee (2013). Baxter appeared In 1997 in a guest role in two episodes of the comedy series Spin City as the mother of Michael j. Fox's character, as a nod to their shared past as mother Elise and son Alex Keaton in Family Ties.
* Excluding 45 + television films
- Airline Disaster (2010)
- The Onion Movie (2008)
- Paradise, Texas (2005)
- The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green (2005)
- Devil's Pond (2003)
- Elevator Seeking (1999)
- Jezebel's Kiss (1990)
- Bittersweet Love (1976)
- All the President's Men (1976)
- Am (1972)
- Stand Up and Be Counted (1972)
* Excluding one-off guest roles
- The Neighbors -Mother Joyner (2013, two episodes)
- Then Vs. -voice Elise SR. (2011-2012, four episodes)
- Family Guy -voice Elyse Keaton/himself (3 episodes, 2009-2011)
- We Have to Stop Now -Judy (3 episodes, 2010)
- Cold Case -Ellen Rush (2006-2007, five episodes)
- Spin City -Macy (1997, two episodes)
- The Faculty -Flynn Sullivan (1996, thirteen episodes)
- Family Ties -Elyse Keaton (1982-1989, 171 episodes)
- The Love Boat -Francesca Randall (1982, two episodes)
- Family -Nancy Lawrence Maitland (1976-1980, 59 episodes)
- City of Angels -Mary Kingston (3 episodes, 1976)
- Bridget Loves Bernie -Bridget Fitzgerald Steinberg (1972-1973, 24 episodes)
Baxter explained on 62-year-old age in the American ontbijttelevisie program Today that they soon found out in 2002 that she is lesbian . They married in 2013 with Nancy Locke, with whom she was at that time eight years together. Baxter was previously married to a man three times: from 1966 to 1971 with Robert Lewis Bush, from 1974 to 1990 with actor David Birney and from 1995 to 2000 with actor Michael Blodgett. With Bush got Baxter in 1967 son Theodore Justin and in 1969 daughter Eva Whitney Bush. With Birney received them in 1974, Jeanne, and daughter Kathleen in 1984 twins Peter David Edwin and Mollie Elizabeth Birney.
After Baxter in 1994 appeared in the television film My Breast she founded the Meredith Baxter Foundation for Breast Cancer Research on, to raise money for breast cancerresearch. In 1999, the disease in her self discovered, but they survived that.
Baxter brought in 2011 her memoirs under the title Untied.